Sunday, August 5, 2012

Family Matters

This last week was spent surrounded by family. Mike's parents took the train down from Sun River, Oregon and stayed with us Sunday night through Thursday morning. I can not express how grateful I am to them for making the long trip down and for being so helpful with Ethan. On Monday they watched Ethan while Mike and I took the boys to a movie. On Tuesday we all packed into the car and went down to Coronado for the day, it the first time I had been there and I instantly fell in love. I had such a blast walking around town and the grounds of the hotel del- I wish we could've stayed longer!

Wednesday we drove to Temecula to meet with Mike's cousin, Cheryl, her husband, Kylle, and daughter, Leah. We had lunch at South Coast Winer. It was delicious! Ethan was overly exhausted and cried the whole way home. I don't think I've ever seen him so upset in the car since I first brought him home.

Mike's parents left Thursday and I mostly just did laundry, hung around the house, then took a long walk with the boys to a nearby park and took pictures of my little loves.

Friday I knocked two more items off of Ethan's "activity" list. Chuck e Cheeses and Cotton Candy. Now don't judge me. I realize that I shouldn't be taking a medically fragile baby that is about to have open heart surgery to a germ infested place swarming with children. In my defense, I feel like everyone should go to Chuck e Cheese's at least once in their lifetime. I held him the whole time accept for one ride which I thoroughly wiped down. As for the Cotton Candy I'm not a fan of giving any child sugar, especially one that's nearly ten months old, but it was a very small taste and this surgery is really getting to me. Friday night we had dinner with my friend Carolyn and her family.

On Saturday my brother Mike came down for dinner with his family. I can not tell you how much I appreciate not only the distraction of having family and close friends visit with us, but the importance to me of having them get to know Ethan and say prayers for him.

Today was a calmer day. Just Mike, Cameron, Ethan and I. Ethan and I played together on the floor for at least an hour. We is starting to pull himself up on objects and get on all fours. I was hoping he would crawl before his surgery but now feel perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that he hasn't yet. After all he will be stuck in a hospital bed recovering after surgery and it's probably best that he focus on that rather than wanting to get on the ground and crawl around.

Mike, Ethan and I leave tomorrow night for Los Angeles. Pre-op is set for early Tuesday morning and surgery for Wednesday. Please continue to pray for Ethan and for the best possible surgical outcome for him.

Much love and appreciation- Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment